We cannot deny that we continue to live in a society where women have to fight tooth and nail to gain a respectable niche. No, we don’t like to admit it like that, but it’s the reality. Women continue to be less recognized than men and their salaries are far from equal even when carrying out the same work activities.
There is still much to fight for real equality, and we must start doing it from within the family. Where respect and equality are the pillars of parenting. Both boys and girls must be raised together with values that make them see that they are capable of anything they set out to do in life.
The opportunities must be the same for one and the other, as well as their rights and duties. There is no better or worse genre. It is true that we have obvious differences, but these differences should not distance us, rather they should complement us and make us see that in equality lies the rapprochement.
Your daughter is unique. Decalogue to empower her
Yes, your daughter is unique in this world, she is unique in your life and there will never be anyone in the entire universe who raises in your heart that deep love that you feel for her. Therefore, let her know and give her the gift of responsibility, let her know that she is the owner of her own decisions and of course, she owns her body and her dreams.
It is important that from a very young age you transmit security and self-confidence. To do this, we are going to leave you here a decalogue to empower your daughter. A gift for your upbringing and for her future. Do not lose detail.
- Make her see that she is not a princess to be saved by a prince. She is a warrior who carves out her own destiny.
- If she likes dolls to play with, that’s fine, if she likes pink too. If you like blue that’s just as good and the same goes for playing football or fighting, it’s wonderful too!
- Support their decisions and never say phrases like “that’s not girly things.”
- Never force him to give kisses or hugs if he doesn’t want to. Make her see that she makes those decisions and no one ever has to force her to show affection if she doesn’t want to. Furthermore, if she ever feels compelled to do something she doesn’t want to do, she will need to seek help, especially in the case of abuse.
- Allow him to ask, to investigate, to explore… to learn! That you never settle for the first answer, feed your critical thinking along with your self-love. Knowledge is power and in books you will always find endless interesting information.
- Let him know that violence never solves anything, in fact, a violent being is lacking in values and has great emotional problems without dealing with them.
- Tell her that her body is her world and no one can decide about it except herself. Just as her body is his, so is her mind. It’s important that she exercise her body, but even more important that she exercise her mind!
- Tell her that getting married and being a mother may be a possible destiny, but it doesn’t have to be the only one, nor is it mandatory for anyone. That obsolete time is over… her destiny will be chosen by her, according to the decisions she makes in life.
- Teach him that the world is a wonderful place. She chooses how and with whom to live it. She must choose well, because the people she chooses will be the reasons for her happiness… or her sorrows. But in any case she will always choose how things affect her. No one has power over her, other than herself.
- Give him emotional security. Make him see that you will always be by his side no matter what happens. Whenever she needs you, you will be there and you will defend her tooth and nail when necessary… no matter who gets ahead.