It is possible that at some time when you are writing, the doubt has jumped out at you: excuse or excuse? It is a fairly common confusion and therefore, we are going to get it out of your head. When you finish reading this article you will know exactly how to write this word.
In addition, you will learn a trick so that you have it clearer than water. Both words are correct since they exist and you can find them in the dictionary… But the important thing is to know that each one of them means different things, so it is necessary to know the meaning in order to understand which one you should use at a given time.
Excuse or excuse?
The two words exist and are correct, as we have advanced in the previous paragraph. Whenever you want to apologize or use it as a synonym for an excuse then you should use “excuse”. But, for you to understand it better, let’s talk about it in more detail:
When it is used as someone who excuses himself, it can be synonymous with apology or also as a reason or pretext used to evade an obligation or excuse an omission. It can be a verb or a noun . When it is a feminine noun, it is used as a synonym for excuse or pretext.
Examples to understand it better:
- Don’t make excuses, tell me you don’t want to come, period.
- The holidays these days are the perfect excuse to visit that northern town.
It can also be used in the third person singular of the indicative mood of the verb “excuse” or the second person singular of the imperative of the same verb. To understand it better, do not miss these examples:
- Pedro excuses himself from going to the party because he feels ill.
- Lucas, excuse Luisa to your parents because she can’t come.
When we talk about “excuse” we are dealing with a feminine noun that means several things that you should keep in mind when you want to use this word:
- Wicker basket with lid.
- Special condition that some people enjoy in specific places for profit and advantage.
- Right that the owner of a farm or ranch grants its workers so that they can sleep without paying rent or have a number of head of cattle as compensation.
- Hide or hide.
Now we are going to show you examples of the previous meanings taking into account the same order mentioned:
- I have put the apples in the excuse.
- In my town there were unfair excuses and that is why they are no longer performed.
- The peasant used the owner’s excuse to sleep in a warm bed in exchange for his work.
- He was carrying the drug on excuses at the bottom of the suitcase, but the police found it.
Note: in all the examples that we have seen, it is also accepted that the word “excuse” be used, but it cannot be the other way around, that is, “excuse” can only be used as explained above. So that you do not make a mistake, remember the following:
- If it is an excuse or an apology, it is always an excuse.
- If it is a verb, it is always an excuse.
- In all other cases, you can use both words.
Now that you know more about these two words and that both can be correct, you will never be wrong again. If necessary, write down the rule on some piece of paper that you may have near you and thus, with use and time you will see that you will stop looking at it because you will have already internalized how it is written.
From now on you will be able to not only write these two words correctly in the correct context, but you will also be able to explain them to other people in case you realize that they have made a mistake in their use. You no longer have excuses to write it well!