There are spelling doubts that are resolved when studying in Primary education, but with the passage of time they can come back to people’s minds. Today we want to clear up your doubts and talk to you about the verb take and find out if it is written with a “g” or a “j”… This way you can solve this doubt forever and never make a mistake again.
The use of “g” or the “j” usually generates some confusion when writing some words, and this is no exception. “Coger” and “cojer” are pronounced the same, because they are homophones, but they are spelled and mean differently.
Everyone knows that the “g” has a soft sound like “cat” when it goes in front of: a, o, u. Instead its sound gets louder in front of: e, i. Verb forms of infinitive verbs that end in -ger, -gir or -gerar are always written with “g” when they have “ge” or “gi”. Although there are two exceptions: weave and creak.
Meaning of “coger”
“Coger” means the following:
- Collect. Example: We went to pick lemons.
- Grab. Example: He wanted to grab her hand.
- Take something with you. Example: Take your bag, we’re leaving now.
- Press an offer. Example: I caught the supermarket offer.
- Find someone in a certain context. Example: I caught him sleeping in the hammock .
- Use a means of transportation. Example: Luisa, take the bus when you leave the academy.
- Catching someone who is running away. Example: I caught him even though he was running very fast.
- Getting some kind of disease. Example: He caught a flu that kept him in bed for 15 days.
- Not understanding sentences with double s jokes. Example: Have you got it?
- Taking up space. Example: Get a seat at the movie theater we don’t lack seats.
*In much of Latin America the verb “fuck” means to have sexual intercourse.
Synonyms of the verb “coger”
In addition to the meanings, it is necessary to know that the verb “coger” has certain synonyms that it is important to differentiate in order to know how to write it and also to be able to find these synonyms in the writing of some type of text and so that it is not repetitive:
Conjugation of the verb “to catch”
When you know the conjugation of the verb to catch, you will be able to know the different personal forms of the verb and thus you will be able to use it correctly whenever necessary. In the present indicative you will be able to know how all the people of this verb are spelled correctly, so do not lose detail and remember it:
- Yo cojo
- You fuck
- He/she/you fuck
- We fuck
- You fuck
- They fuck
From now on you will know when you have to write fuck with “g” and you have no excuses to make mistakes anymore. “Coger” is always written with “g” and now, you understand why, when and also, what its most used synonyms are so you can use them whenever you need to.