We live in a society where children are our future, therefore, it is necessary to focus on the present so that the future is the best possible. We have to learn from the mistakes of the past in the present to improve our future as a society. To do this, we must understand the world we live in and model in ourselves, adults first, what we want our children to repeat later.
Currently, children are in direct contact with a lot of information and parents must have even more parenting strategies to be able to protect them from the information that are inappropriate and so that they know how to understand what they receive critically. What cannot be missing in the lives of children are the values that we must teach them because there is too much pampering and it is necessary to recover them.
Absence of values in children
Currently, children live in the absence of values and that translates into little empathy, little assertiveness and too much aggressiveness. For example, unfortunately in schools there are bullies and bullies, children who have a bad time at school because they are afraid that others will insult them or make their lives impossible.
If you ask a child what values are, they probably won’t know the answer. Concepts such as empathy, respect, perseverance, tolerance… they may not even know what they mean because they have never worked at home and even because they have not seen them put into practice. It seems that parents don’t have time to play with their children, much less to teach them these essential values for life, and that must change!
The values that cannot be missing in a home
There are some values that cannot be missing in any home, and then we are going to talk about them so that, if they are not worked at home, reflect on it and start showing them to your children more frequently so that they can internalize them:
- Respect. Respect is not fear, it is not punishment, nor is it Screams. Respect is achieved through the emotional bond and by example. By modeling good behaviors. In addition, for this, it is necessary that there is no lack of rules and clear limits in the home. Respect for oneself and others.
- Empathy. Empathy is essential for relationships with others, but also with oneself. Sensitivity is the sister of empathy and that is why it must be encouraged through communication and understanding of one’s own emotions and those of others. Working on emotional intelligence is fundamental.
- Tolerance. Tolerance to others, to diversity, to what is different and to what is not understood. We do not live alone in the world and we must learn to live in harmony with the rest. That is why tolerance together with respect are fundamental in all aspects. You have to set an example with opportunities that arise from day to day.
- Sincerity. Sincerity is essential to have good communication through trust. Be honest with your children and they will learn to be honest with you in any aspect… and remember, always with respect and without judging.
- Gratitude. “It is good born to be grateful” and gratitude will make your children appreciate the things they have without missing what they don’t have. Follow the example of gratitude towards life and the people around you. In this way, your children will learn to value much more the things they have in their lives.
- Humility. To be sincere and have gratitude, it is necessary to be humble. We all make mistakes and we must learn from them in order to improve in the future… We must accept them and accept them when they are made. Also, no one is better or worse than others, because life is like a ladder. There will always be people below you, but also above you…
In addition to these, there are many values that should be taught, think about which ones are important to you and to pass on to your family. Then be the best example and role model so that your children become successful people in all aspects of life, but above all, in the personal aspect.