Oily skin is common on the scalp and face. It arises when the sebaceous glands “manufacture” sebum excessively, which causes the appearance of shiny skin on the face, which is mainly perceived in the central areas (T zone): nose and forehead.
Some of the symptoms that may indicate that you have this type of skin are: enlarged pores, thick skin, oily layer when touching the skin, oily and sticky hair, frequent appearance of pimples, pimples, acne…
Oily skin needs special care when it is cleaned, and especially if you are thinking of applying makeup.
HOW TO TAKE CARE OF OILY SKIN?
If you have oily skin and want to carry out specific care to treat it, you should know that it is very important to be constant and regular. Therefore, do not hesitate to establish a routine to maintain control of the skin and avoid the appearance of acne.
Exfoliation is essential when it comes to removing dead cells that are stored in the epidermis, that is, in the outermost layer of the skin.
When we talk about oily skin, if we do not eliminate dead cells, they will surely end up clogging the pores, and therefore, they will prevent the sebum from coming out naturally.
For this reason, we recommend that you use a light exfoliant once a week, which will leave your skin smoother and softer, as well as favoring the effectiveness of the creams you put on afterwards. In addition, it will be important that the exfoliating particles are prepared to remove dead cells effectively, without being aggressive.
The next step you should take is cleansing the face , which should be gentle (so as not to irritate it) and twice a day: in the morning and at night. Thus, you will eliminate impurities, traces of makeup, dirt from the environment and the fat that is generated throughout the day.
Facial cleansing helps the skin become smooth and prevents infections. Keep in mind that not just any product will do, and that you should stay away from those that contain oils. Water-based cleansers are the most appropriate, look for those that combine make-up removal, cleansing and moisturizing.
Masks will help improve skin health. We find two types:
- Clay masks: They guarantee a deep cleaning, focusing directly on the pores and eliminating any type of impurities. You can apply it twice a week to finish with the particles that accumulate on the skin and so that the face can breathe again.
- Night masks with a healing effect: This option is very positive if what you are looking for is to regenerate the skin at night, while you sleep. Gel-textured night masks promote skin repair, elasticity recovery and, finally, revive its luminosity.
There are specific moisturizers for oily skin, since it also dehydrates. These creams have moisturizing active ingredients and elements that are responsible for balancing, progressively normalizing excess sebum and accelerating cell renewal.
TIPS TO AVOID OILY SKIN
- Drink water, the amount necessary to keep the skin hydrated (between 8 and 10 glasses a day).
- Avoid makeup.
- Get a good night’s sleep (between 7 and 9 hours). Thus, the body can renew and revitalize the skin while you sleep.
- Eat a healthy diet, rich in antioxidants and omega 3 fatty acids .
- Practice physical exercise on a regular basis.
If you cannot control oily skin or if the appearance of acne is constant and severe, do not hesitate to request a consultation with your dermatologist.