When we buy a bus, train, boat or plane ticket, we must keep that piece of paper well. Why? Because it will serve as proof to claim in case we suffer an accident or mishap during the trip. This compensation is covered by the Compulsory Travelers Insurance (SOV) . The objective is none other than to guarantee the safety of travelers and protect them from any event that could cause an injury.
Spanish law establishes the obligation for carriers with means of transport of more than 9 seats to have this policy. Cable cars, funiculars, ski lifts, chair lifts, gondola lifts or other means in which traction is by cable and in which there is no fixed rolling path must also have an SOV, even if the capacity is less than 9 passengers.
Its scope of action covers all trips within Spain or that begin in national territory , even if the destination is international. The protection includes, among others, the fall during the ascent and descent of the means of transport, collisions, blows due to sudden braking, a fire, the overturning of the vehicle or an accident caused by a breakdown.
On the contrary, this insurance is not responsible for accidents caused by the insured who are drunk, drugged, under the influence of drugs or malicious acts.
It is important to note that the Compulsory Travelers Insurance also covers people who are in possession of free tickets. Therefore, as parents we must know that minors who are exempt from paying tickets are also protected by this policy .
COVERAGE OF THE MANDATORY TRAVELERS INSURANCE
Regarding SOV coverage, the law establishes the following:
- Medical assistance
- hospital care
- Economic compensation proportional to the damages or injuries suffered. According to Royal Decree 1575/1989, of December 22 , the amount ranges between 1,202.02 for fractures of the humerus, ulna, radius, and femur and 42,070.85 euros in the case of quadriplegia.
- In the event of the death of the insured, the payment will be a single payment (36,060.73 euros). The spouse will receive it. If there are children, half of the money will be distributed among them (the other 50% is for the widowed spouse). In case of not having a partner or children, the beneficiaries will be the parents of the deceased.
THE IMPORTANCE OF HAVING ACCIDENT OR TRAVEL INSURANCE
These coverages are fully compatible with those offered by any private accident insurance or travel policy. But, is the money you would collect in the event of an accident enough? It depends on the severity of the injuries.
Imagine that you cannot work for several months, or that you are unable to work again for the rest of your life. Could you guarantee the future of your children? I prefer to protect myself and when I go on vacation I always take out travel insurance. The difference is that this is not mandatory, but it is recommended.
When choosing a good travel insurance you must make sure that it offers a wide coverage. That’s the basics:
- Medical and hospital assistance at the place of destination.
- The possibility of moving the trip forward if a family emergency occurs.
- Compensation for theft, loss or damage to personal effects. Baggage delay is included here.
- Cancellation of the trip.
- Medication shipment.
- Repatriation in case of illness or death.
- Expenses for the extension of the stay in the hotel of the insured when he is sick or injured and cannot return home.
- Compensation to family members in case of death of the insured.
- If the insured becomes disabled, payment of an economic amount.
- Legal assistance.
- Civil liability.
Another option we have is accident insurance. As we have seen in previous articles, these policies pay compensation in case of illness or accident of the insured . The amount depends on the company and the conditions that have been signed.