Classic, elegant and striking are 3 words that define the name Rodrigo very well. It is a name that during the Middle Ages was very popular among European royalty and that, even today, is very valid. For this reason, it is an excellent choice to name your baby, since, in addition, its meaning is “the one that is full of glory”.
In this babynamesforgirls article, we will tell you what the meaning of the name Rodrigo is , along with other information of great interest such as its numerology, the popularity of the name in Spain, the celebrities who wear it, and even their birthday. Rodrigo is a boy’s name .
What does Rodrigo mean?
This masculine given name means “ the glorious and mighty warrior ”. It was widely used by European kings, warriors and various mythical characters in the Middle Ages.
Origin of the name Rodrigo
Rodrigo is a name of Germanic origin . Basically, it is made up of the word “ hrod” , which translates “fame or glory” and “ reiks” which means “powerful or rich”. Therefore, etymologically it is translated as “he who is full of power and glory”.
Diminutives and variations of the name Rodrigo
Below, you will see some variations and diminutives of the name Rodrigo:
- Rodríguez (its patronymic form).
The name Rodrigo in other languages
Let’s know how Rodrigo is written in other languages:
- German : Roderich
- Arabic : لذريق
- Catalan : Roderic
- Chinese : 罗德里戈
- Korean : 로드리고
- French : Rodrigue
- Galician : Roi
- Greek : Ροντρίγκο
- Hebrew : רודריגו
- English : Roderick and Rodrick
- Italian : Roderigo, Rodorico and Ruderico
- Japanese : ロドリゴ
- Portuguese : Rui
- Russian : Родрик
- Basque : Errodeika
Personality of the name Rodrigo
Rodrigo is a man with a discreet, inspiring and creative personality . Although he doesn’t like to attract attention, he never goes unnoticed wherever he goes.
In love, you take things slowly. Therefore, he is not in a hurry, which makes him mysterious and enigmatic in love affairs. However, when he finds the ideal partner, he gives himself completely to his new relationship.
At work, Rodrigo is responsible, disciplined and efficient . This favors him to hold positions of high importance within the organization where he works. Together with this, he gets involved in such a way with his work, that he does not allow distractions or hesitation.
In the family, all the members count on Rodrigo, both financially and morally. In general, he tends to become the breadwinner of his family, although it is likely that in his youth he did not take the responsibilities of the home very seriously.
With his friends, Rodrigo knows how to have fun. In fact, he likes to share and enjoy parties and meetings to chat and catch up on the various current issues. Ultimately, he is a good friend that everyone can trust.
Celebrities named Rodrigo
The best known celebrities who bear the name of Rodrigo are:
- Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar – was a military leader and hero of Castile in the late 11th century. He was popularly called the Cid Campeador.
- Rodrigo Fresán : is a journalist, writer and translator of Argentine nationality.
- Rodrigo Caio Coquette Russo : He is a Brazilian footballer who plays in the defense position and is currently playing for CR Flamengo in Brazil.
- Rodrigo de Quiroga y López de Ulloa : He was a Spanish soldier and conqueror who occupied the governorship of Chile in 1580.
- Rodrigo Caro : was a historian, poet, lawyer and Catholic priest of the Spanish Golden Age, who died in 1647.
- Rodrigo Sorogoyen del Amo : is a film director, producer and screenwriter born in Spain, winner of the Goya awards in 2019.
- Rodrigo Borja Cevallos : He is an Ecuadorian politician and lawyer who was President of Ecuador in 1992.
- Rodrigo Moreno : is a Spanish footballer who plays for Valencia CF
- Rodrigo Cortés Giráldez : is a Spanish director, producer and screenwriter.
Day of the Saint of Rodrigo
According to Catholic saints, March 13 is Rodrigo’s name day. On this day homage is paid to San Rodrigo, who was a priest in Córdoba-Spain and who died martyred in the year 837 AD
Numerology of the name Rodrigo
5 is the lucky digit associated with Rodrigo.
Popularity of the first name Rodrigo
Rodrigo is a name of medieval origin, which today is widely used in Spanish-speaking countries. Likewise, its Anglo-Saxon variations are frequently worn by many men in the United Kingdom and the United States of America.
Taking the INE figures as a reference, only in Spain there are around 39,655 men named Rodrigo, with an average age between 23 and 24 years.
Seeing the map that is attached below, it is evident that the Spanish provinces with the largest number of men with the name Rodrigo are the following: