All boys and girls must have rules and limits in order to develop correctly. It is the only way in which they can feel safe in their lives and above all, enjoy a childhood where they find that rules and limits are part of a whole. Rules and limits are the path they must follow and they will know at all times what their reference adults expect of them every day.
Many parents set the rules and limits in the wrong way: yelling, being rude, and trying to instill fear in their little ones. But it is not necessary to be so drastic, because in reality, if you want to do things right, you can impose the same rules and limits throughout the game… without the need to generate conflicts of any kind.
Set rules and limits from the game
It consists of parents being able to propose the rules to their children as if it were a game. First, they will have to keep in mind a series of things, because if they don’t, then they may not achieve anything. Some recommendations to consider are:
- Children more Children will accept rules better when they receive them through play.
- Children should have good trust with their parents.
- Parents should have the patience and time to do this fine.
- Parents need to trust themselves and what they are doing.
Set limits as if it were a game
It is Now you may be thinking, what kind of steps are necessary to be able to set rules and limits for children? Next we are going to present you some that can be adjusted to your needs and family interests. You will be able to establish rules and limits through the game taking into account the following:
- Establish the norm and the limit. For example: “You have to speak softer.”
- Explain clearly the limit you impose. Remember that it is It is important that you always expose it positively because in this way they will receive the rule in a much more optimal way and will not reject it from the start.
- Repeat the rule. You can repeat the rule as many times as needed until you are sure your child has understood correctly. Once the norm or limit is formulated in a positive way and the children have understood it, you should tell them to repeat it 3 times singing (funny) with their voice or imitating someone they find interesting (such as a character or someone famous) . In this way, if the child has fun while you explain the rule, he will be internalizing in a much more positive way what you want to teach him and what you want him to be able to achieve.
- Establish consequences. Like any rule or limit, it is necessary to establish consequences if the rules are broken. These consequences should be well explained to the children. It is important that children understand the rules, but it is also essential that they understand what the consequences are if they break them. It is better to do it through a game, for example with a brainstorm in which everyone collaborates to think about the consequences that there may be if the established rules are broken (and that they are logical consequences with respect to the limits).
As you can see, the education of your children does not have to be simply “order and command”. Children can collaborate in choosing rules and consequences. The important thing is that they do it in a pleasant and fun way so that in this way, they better internalize everything that is being demanded of them without being understood as an imposition.