A normal gestation period lasts 9 months, the fact that you are in the third trimester of pregnancy implies that you are in the last three months of this period. The nerves may come, you will want to have the final preparations ready, you will do the last tests and prepare for labor .
Below we will tell you about the possible discomforts that will appear in this period, as well as what care will be recommended so that you are strong and prepared for the moment of giving birth.
THIRD TRIMESTER OF PREGNANCY: MOST COMMON DISCOMFORTS
Knowing the discomforts that can appear in the third trimester of pregnancy can help you know how to alleviate them. On the other hand, if you feel that the discomfort is too intense, it is best to request a medical consultation.
One of the parts of the body that suffers the most during pregnancy, and especially in the third trimester, is the back. The weight of the belly, together with the distension of the ligaments (caused by the hormone relaxin), causes an imbalance in the posture of the body and you have pain, sometimes of great intensity, in the lower back area .
As you well know, the third trimester of pregnancy is the last and the fact that the birth of your baby is so close can give you some concerns that can affect the quality of sleep. To this can be added the increased urge to urinate, gastroesophageal reflux, back pain, the size of the belly, the movements of the baby or restless legs syndrome.
Restless legs syndrome
This syndrome frequently appears when the end of pregnancy is approaching. Its main characteristic is feeling uncomfortable or discomfort in the legs when you are lying down or sitting. This causes you to move them or want to permanently change their position.
You may also feel cold, sore, burning, or tingly (in one or both legs), which is likely to prevent you from getting a good night’s sleep. Moderate exercise will help with this discomfort.
It is possible that you have never snored but that in the third trimester of pregnancy you begin to do so. If you were already snoring, it may be more intense at this stage. Snoring is due to inflammation of the airways that causes a feeling of blockage and some difficulty when breathing.
BASIC CARE IN THE THIRD TRIMESTER OF PREGNANCY
This last stage of pregnancy is as important as the previous ones, so you cannot ignore the fact of taking care of yourself. We give you some recommendations:
- Continue to eat well, eating vegetables and protein-rich foods frequently and in small amounts.
- Increase your dairy intake, since the fetus needs more dairy in the last months of pregnancy.
- Rest when you feel it is necessary and avoid standing too long.
- Since back pain is very common in the third trimester of pregnancy, don’t forget to take care of your posture. For example: when you bend over, bend your knees and do it with a straight back, do not lift heavy objects, and sit at a 90º angle with your back on the back of the chair and your knees.
- If you are going to have sex, always do it in positions that are comfortable for you.
- To relieve leg heaviness caused by fluid retention and weight gain, walk, swim, lie down with your legs up, and wet your legs alternately with cold and warm water.
- It will be important for you to know the different types of contractions , since in the third trimester of pregnancy some can occur without necessarily being related to giving birth.