When shopping for shoes for kids online or from European brands, you may come across European shoe sizing. European shoe sizes are different from US shoe sizes. So how do you convert a European shoe size to a US kids shoe size? Here’s a guide to help you figure it out.
How European Shoe Sizes Work
European shoe sizes are based on the length of the foot in centimeters. They come in numerical sizes that correspond to foot length.
- Shoe sizes for babies range from 16 to 23.
- Kids shoe sizes typically start at 24 and go up to 40.
Within each full shoe size, there are also half sizes designated with an M or F:
- The M stands for medium or middle.
- The F stands for fine or small.
So a size 27F would be a half size smaller than a size 27.
Converting European Shoe Sizes to US Sizes
Kids shoe sizes in the US are based on an combination of foot length and age. As a general guideline, you can use the following conversions:
- European sizes 16 to 23 correspond to US infant sizes 0 to 10.
- European kids sizes 24 to 33 convert to US kids size 10.5 to 1.
- European sizes 34 to 40 equal US kids sizes 1.5 to 7.
Here is a more detailed conversion chart:
So for example, a European shoe size 32 would convert to a US kids size 2. And a size 35 would be a US kids size 4.
Tips for Converting Sizes
- There is no exact conversion between European and US sizing. The sizes are close but not an exact match.
- When in doubt, round up to the nearest half or full US size. It’s better for shoes to be slightly large rather than too small.
- European sizes run slightly smaller than US sizes on average.
- If you know your child’s foot length in centimeters, you can match it up to a European size chart to find the closest equivalent.
- Try the shoes on your child if possible to ensure the best fit. Sizing varies between shoe brands and styles.
Converting European shoe sizes to US sizes is not an exact science. But this guide should give you an approximate idea of the equivalent size to look for. When shopping online, check sizing charts and reviews to determine what size is most likely to fit your child’s feet. With the right European size to US conversion, you can open up your options to stylish European shoe brands for your kids.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between European and US shoe sizes?
European shoe sizes are based on the length of the foot in centimeters. US kids sizes use a combination of foot length and age to determine the size.
How do you convert an EU size 32 to US?
A European size 32 generally converts to a US kids size 2. However, since sizing is not exact between systems, it’s a good idea to round up to the nearest half or full size when converting.
What EU size is a US 10 kids?
A US size 10 kids shoe is approximately equivalent to a European size 27, or sometimes a size 28 if the shoes run small. Always check the sizing chart for the specific brand.
What if I’m between two EU sizes?
If your foot length falls between two European sizes, it’s better to size up to the larger size. Shoes that are slightly big allow the child’s feet to grow. Shoes that are too small can be uncomfortable. When in doubt, round up to the next half or full size.
What’s the average kids shoe size by age?
The average shoe size for kids by age is:
- Age 2: US size 6
- Age 3: US size 8
- Age 4: US size 10
- Age 5: US size 12
- Age 6: US size 13
- Age 7: US size 1
- Age 8: US size 2
- Age 9: US size 3
However, all kids grow at different rates so these are just general guidelines. Always measure your child’s feet for the best shoe size fit. Check out more at our website for kids.