The coronavirus crisis has plunged many Spanish households into great uncertainty, seeing their economic security at risk. Until the month of May there were 3,781,250 people unemployed, according to official figures provided by Moncloa. Undoubtedly, this is a problem that affects many Spanish families, but above all the most vulnerable ones who have dependent children. However, there are different aid programs that these families can take advantage of, such as family aid.
What is family support?
Family assistance is a subsidy aimed at families with dependents who are unemployed. This is a monthly aid that these families receive during the time they are out of work so that they can pay for the household’s fixed expenses. Basically, those families who have exhausted the benefit due to unemployment or who do not have the right to unemployment due to insufficient contributions can request it. Hotels in PortAventura with free unlimited access to the theme park.
What requirements must you meet to apply for family assistance in Spain?
To apply for family assistance, it is not enough to be unemployed and lack sufficient resources to support a family with children. These are all the requirements you must meet to apply for family assistance:
- Being unemployed.
- Be registered as a job seeker for at least one month since the benefit has ended, that is, have been on “waiting” for at least one month. During this time, you will not be able to reject a suitable placement offer, refuse to participate in promotion, training or professional conversion actions, except for just cause.
- Be enrolled in the job search activity commitment. This means being committed to accepting a suitable position and/or participating in information, orientation or professional training actions that increase the chances of obtaining a job.
- Have exhausted the unemployment benefit, if you have it.
- Having family responsibilities, that is, having your spouse or a child under 26 years of age or older with a disability or foster children who are financially dependent on you in your care.
- Lack of income, of any nature, that exceeds 75% of the Minimum Interprofessional Salary. It is worth noting that the rent will be computed by the gross yield. Those that come from business, professional, agricultural, livestock or artistic activities will be calculated taking into account the difference between income and expenses. Capital gains will be calculated taking into account the difference between profits and losses.
It is worth noting that these requirements must be met at the time of submitting the application in order to be eligible for it. However, they must also be maintained during the receipt of the subsidy and in the request for its extensions, if applicable.
How and when to apply for family assistance in Spain?
The request for family assistance must be made directly to the State Public Employment Service (SEPE). There are four ways to apply: through the SEPE Electronic Headquarters , by telephone by calling your provincial office, by administrative mail or in person, by appointment, at the offices of the Public Employment Service.
You have a period of 15 days, after the month of “waiting” that starts counting from the day after you exhaust the unemployment benefit. You can request it later, but then you will start receiving the benefit from the day after making the request. If you cannot apply for aid because you do not meet any of the requirements, you have one year to apply, if your situation changes in that time.
What documents must you submit to apply for family assistance?
To access family assistance, it is not enough to make the application, some documents must also be presented in order to demonstrate that you meet all the requirements. These are the documents that should not be missing:
- Unemployment subsidy model perfectly completed.
- Identity Document of the applicant, either DNI, NIE, TIE or certificate of registration of citizen of the European Union, the spouse, dependent children and any other person that appears in the application.
- Bank document in which the account number of which you are the holder appears, which will be where you will receive the benefit.
- Family book or equivalent document in the case of foreigners.
- In some cases, proof of income may be requested.
How much will you charge and for how long?
This year the amount of family assistance amounts to 451.92 euros per month, which represents 80% of the IPREM Multiple Effects Public Income Indicator. However, it is important to bear in mind that 100% of the aid will only be collected if your last employment contract was full-time. If your last employment contract was only part-time, the subsidy will amount to approximately 215 euros. It is worth noting that this subsidy has a duration of six months, with the right to extend it.
Can a family grant be renewed in Spain?
After completing the first six months of family assistance, you can extend it for six-month periods. However, it is important that you bear in mind that the extensions vary depending on your age and unemployment benefit.
- If you are unemployed under the age of 45 and have exhausted the contributory benefit for at least 4 months, you are entitled to family assistance for 18 months.
- If you are unemployed under the age of 45 and have exhausted the contributory benefit for at least 6 months, you are entitled to family assistance for 24 months.
- If you are unemployed over 45 years of age and have exhausted the contributory benefit for at least 4 months, you are entitled to family assistance for 24 months.
- If you are unemployed over 45 years of age and have exhausted the contributory benefit for at least 6 months, you are entitled to family assistance for 30 months.
If you are at the limit of reaching 45 years of age, keep in mind that the age you must take into consideration is the age you are at the time you apply for the family assistance benefit.