In one year, the life of world society has taken a 180º turn and the virus that causes the disease COVID-19 has made us all rethink our lives. In addition, we must be aware of this situation because only with social responsibility can we stop the deaths and infections caused by this dangerous virus.
The way we relate to each other has changed drastically. The understanding of life has nothing to do with how it was before… The crises caused by pandemics have serious consequences on a social and personal level, and it is not for less.
We have been forced to change the way we do everything and to be resilient, because everyone, absolutely everyone, in one way or another, must resurface from everything that this virus is making us suffer. Working, studying, interacting with others, family life… nothing is the same.
Nowadays and due to everything that we are going through, we must learn to manage emotions better… we must be resilient. It is not easy to achieve it when the situations turn adverse… and when everything is supposed to improve, there are obstacles again. And when we are faced with the loss of loved ones, it makes it even worse.
In fact, a lesson to keep in mind for children and adolescents as well as adults is that existence is too fragile to be taken for granted. You have to live the present as if each day were the last.
A virus has completely changed our lives, those of us who are lucky enough to maintain it… And we must take advantage of that, being socially responsible to end the massacre that this coronavirus is carrying out all over the world as soon as possible.
In addition, at an educational level, this virus has made us see how far there is in the education of those children who are lucky enough to enjoy resources within their reach and how bad it is for those who cannot have them. Face-to-face education is essential for the development of children and adolescents, and this is what must be taken care of in our society.
Lessons that cannot be missed
During these months we have also been able to observe how important it is to internalize learning and that one should not become obsessed with the absurd learning of nonsense content or only memorize to memorize. Education must respond to the individual needs of each child and adolescent.
One wish within all this chaos is that the pandemic, together with our guidance and serenity, teaches our children to face changes and adversities with the greatest resilience, both in the present and in the future. May they learn that their dreams are possible if they work hard and focus on their inner power. Attitude in life is the key to everything.
Therefore, children must learn some things, values that are necessary both now in our chaotic world due to a virus, and in their future:
- Learn to live in the present. What matters is the here and now.
- Motivate children to do things that make them happy every day. That they feel the illusion for everything they do.
- May they be able to connect heart and mind together with their body. Practice mindfulness to find inner peace and emotional balance.
- Develop the emotional intelligence that we all have and put it into practice both with oneself and with others.
- Be persistent in what interests you, set daily goals and objectives and gradually achieve them.
- Learn from mistakes, it doesn’t matter if something doesn’t turn out as we expected, what really matters is the learning it leaves us.
- Learn to develop free and critical thinking, leaving aside everything that has to do with media manipulation. Learn to ask questions to reflect on the data or information they receive daily.
- Improve and develop their social-emotional and interpersonal skills.
- Strengthen resilience, self-esteem, self-knowledge and self-control to face adversity.
- Understand that the way life is perceived and felt has to do with values and how we feel about ourselves. Tolerance, honesty, solidarity or respect towards oneself and towards others cannot be lacking.
- Cultivate positive thinking while keeping the reality of events in perspective.
- Learn to be aware that the planet is our home but it is not our possession. We must take care of it as our home that it is, so that it lasts for the following generations. Be ecological and conscious.
- Understand that the most important thing in life is not bought by money: the love of our loved ones, time and health.
- Be aware that around us there only have to be “vitamin people”, those who make us feel better… and ourselves, also be vitamin people.
- Dreams are not just to think about, they are desires that can be achieved as long as one strives to achieve it with persistence and courage.
Without a doubt, they are fundamental lessons for everyone.