With an average age of 82.8 years, we Spaniards are on the podium of the oldest in the world. According to the WHO, we occupy the third position, only behind Japan (64.2 years) and Switzerland (83.3). Even so, the mortality rate has increased slightly. What are the main causes of death in our country? We will see it in this article.
Of the 427,721 deaths registered in 2018, the last for which the INE has statistics, 96% were due to diseases.
Next, we are going to see what are the main causes of death in adults.
CAUSES OF DEATH ACCORDING TO THE GROUP OF DISEASES
We begin by listing the 3 diseases that cause the most mortality in Spain. They are, in this order:
- Diseases of the circulatory system: they account for 28.3% of the total, with a decrease of 1.3% compared to a year earlier. They affect, above all, those over 79 years of age. Within these, special mention must be made of heart attacks, angina pectoris and cerebrovascular accidents.
- Tumors : 26.4%, 0.5% less than in 2017. They are the main cause of death between 40 and 79 years of age. The ones that claim the most victims are those of the lung, colon, and breast.
- Diseases of the respiratory system : account for 12.6% of deaths and increased by 4%.
Other common causes of death in adults are diseases of the nervous system and sense organs, mental and behavioral disorders, diseases of the digestive system, those of the genitourinary system, and endocrine, nutritional, and metabolic diseases. Dementia and Alzheimer’s are also at the top of the statistics.
The data provided by the INE coincides with that of other organizations. For example, the OECD’s ” State of Health in the EU ” report attributes the leading causes of death in Spain to ischemic heart disease, stroke, lung cancer, colorectal cancer and COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). .
Tobacco, alcohol, poor diet and a sedentary lifestyle are behind a third of deaths in our country.
CAUSES OF DEATH CAUSED BY ACCIDENTS
With regard to deaths from external causes, it is estimated that each year around 10,000 people die in our country. The INE highlights suicide as the first cause. They follow:
- The Falls . They are the first cause of death by accident in those over 65 years of age.
- Drowning (due to submersion and suffocation).
- Traffic accidents . The DGT recorded more than 1,800 deaths in 2018 (the last year for which it drew statistics), including pedestrians and cyclists.
It is also important to point out that between the ages of 15 and 64, accidental poisonings (such as food poisoning and drug or medication overdoses) are the second leading cause of death, after traffic accidents.
HOW TO ENSURE THE FUTURE OF CHILDREN IN CASE OF DEATH
In the face of some illnesses and accidents, there is little we can do. Therefore, if you have children and want to guarantee their protection, it is best to take out life insurance and list them as beneficiaries. These policies pay an economic amount to the people listed as beneficiaries when the insured dies as a result of an illness or accident covered in the contract.
Within life insurance we find orphans . In this case, instead of granting all the compensation at once, what is usually done is to opt for what is known as rent. In this way, the money is deposited periodically (once a month, for example). With these amounts, the needs of minors are covered, from food expenses to those related to education.
Accident insurance with coverage for death also compensates the beneficiaries when the owner dies.