Short names are in fashion! They have many advantages: they are easy to remember, easy to pronounce and have a special originality. If you are looking for a complete list of short girl names, we have prepared a selection with the best short girl names so that you have something to inspire you when choosing your baby’s name. And don’t worry, we also explain its meaning!
There are all kinds of them: short and pretty girl names, short names in English and even short and weird names. Although it seems that there are few, there are many and varied options that we propose for you to choose the ideal girl’s name with less than five letters. Specifically, over 200 to choose from!
You might be interested in: Short names for Boys
Short and original girl names
If you are looking for a short name for a girl, you will surely also want it to stand out for its originality . That a name is special and different is one of the main reasons why we like short names. As the saying goes: “what is good, if brief, is twice as good”. And it is that originality is a precious quality when it comes to presenting yourself to others. 212 Baby Girl Names Starting with She With Meaning.
Here we show you the selected list of short and original girl names, both for their form and for their meaning:
- Abir : Arabic name whose meaning is fragrance .
- Apra : short girl’s name of Latin origin whose meaning is wild boar .
- Blue : short girl’s name of Persian origin that refers to the color of the sky.
- Cara : female given name of Italian origin meaning dear .
- Dana : short girl’s name of Hebrew origin that means the one who judges .
- Dua : Albanian girl’s name meaning love .
- Eyén : Aboriginal girl’s name meaning dawn .
- Fara : Greek girl’s name meaning she who lights the way .
- Faye – is a Hawaiian name meaning fairies .
- Hebe : name that comes from Greek mythology and means youth .
- Iris – This short name comes from the Greek and means beautiful colors .
- Isla – Scottish girl’s name meaning Queen of the Hebrides .
- Lila : This name comes from Hebrew and means the night .
- Mara : of Hebrew origin, the meaning of this short girl’s name is the romantic woman .
- Mina : short girl’s name, of Italian origin, which is hypocoristic of names like Guillermina.
- Nia : if this name comes from Welsh it means brightness , if it comes from Swahili it means purpose .
- Ola : Olaf’s female given name, of Scandinavian origin, meaning ancestral .
- Opal – This short girl’s name is of Hindu origin and means precious stone .
- Puja – One of the short girl names of Hindu origin, meaning prayer .
- Tara : short female given name of Sanskrit origin meaning star .
- Zara : short name of Arabic origin that means she who is beautiful like a flower .
Spanish short girl names
When thinking about women’s names in Spanish, we can imagine names like Laura , Marina or Victoria , but the truth is that there are also pretty Spanish short names . In this list of short Spanish girl names you will find everything from simple and common names like Ana to original and rare names like Rubí. They will surprise you!
- April : short girl’s name of Latin origin and means the joy of spring .
- Aida : name in Spanish that derives from Arabic and means the one that returns .
- Alba : This short girl’s name is Spanish, derived from Latin, and refers to the dawn.
- Alma : Latin feminine given name meaning good-hearted .
- Ana : short girl’s name of biblical origin meaning full of grace .
- Anaís : Franco-Provençal girl’s name whose meaning is compassionate .
- Elsa : Short Hebrew girl’s name meaning God has sworn .
- Eva : popular short name in Spain, of biblical origin, meaning the one who gives life .
- Fé : girl’s name that comes from Latin and refers to her own name.
- Flower : it is a name originating from Latin and its meaning is evident.
- Inés : name that comes from the Greek and means emotional nature .
- Iria : It is a short name of Celtic origin and the meaning is fertile land .
- Jade : short girl’s name of Spanish origin meaning precious stone .
- Lola : name of Latin origin, diminutive of Dolores.
- Lúa – This short girl’s name is the Galician form of the name Luna.
- Luna – This girl’s name derives from Latin and means the one who shines like the moon .
- Mar : short girl’s name of Latin origin and its meaning refers to the sea.
- Mia : short name, variant of Maria and means the beloved of God .
- Mora : Latin short name meaning purple in color .
- Nela : Manuela’s hypocoristic girl’s name, meaning God is with us .
- Nina : short girl’s name that comes from Hebrew and means the kind one .
- Olga : short name of Russian origin, known in Spain, meaning immortal .
- Peace : is a name that comes from Latin and means peacemaker .
- Rita : short girl’s name that means something of great beauty , diminutive of Margarita.
- Rosa – This short feminine name comes from Latin and means flower of the rosebush .
- Rubí : Spanish short name meaning red , referring to the stone with the same name.
- Sara : it is a short girl’s name, of Hebrew origin and means princess .
Short and rare girl names
In addition to originality, short names can also be rare: this means that they are unusual names, that are not easily heard and stand out for being unique . In this case, the short and rare girl names that we propose are very few women in Spain and they are an ideal option if you are looking for a girl name that differs from the others in every way:
- Aixa : girl’s name of Arabic origin meaning vital woman .
- Ania : This short girl’s name comes from Latin and means dedicated woman .
- Ariel : name that comes from Hebrew, with biblical origin meaning lion of God .
- Ayla – This short name comes from Hebrew and means oak .
- Cala : is a short girl’s name of Arabic origin that means castle .
- Clio : short name that comes from Greek mythology and means to sing .
- Dawa : short girl’s name of Tibetan origin meaning born on Monday .
- Phoebe : comes from Latin and the meaning of this short girl’s name is resplendent .
- Hera – This short female name comes from Greek mythology and means heroine .
- Iraís : short girl’s name of Greek origin, little known, meaning the descendant of Hera .
- Kaie : female given name of Celtic origin meaning combat .
- Lula : short name of Arabic origin meaning pearl .
- Noor : short girl’s name of Arabic origin, its meaning is illuminated .
- Rhea – Another short girl’s name that comes from Greek mythology meaning earth .
- Rune : its origin is Nordic and its meaning is secret tradition .
- Sia : three-letter girl’s name, of Welsh origin, meaning cold .
- Ula : short girl’s name with Celtic origin and meaning jewel of the sea .
- Uma : name of Hindu origin that means Goddess of fertility and beauty .
- Xana : short girl’s name, of Hebrew origin meaning God has given grace .
- Yara : short female name that derives from Tupi and means honest and kind .
- Zoa – This name is a variant of Zoe, which means life.
Short girl names in Catalan
Catalan names are also a good option for your daughter. On many occasions, names in Catalan are versions of names that we already know or are hypocoristic, such as Ona, which comes from Mariona, or Laia, which comes from the name Eulalia. Short girl names in Catalan are very popular:
- Agnés : is a Catalan version of the name Inés, which means caste .
- Aina : short Hebrew girl’s name, which means grace and is only popular in Catalonia and the Balearic Islands.
- Anna : is the Catalan form of the name Ana, a biblical short name that means full of grace .
- Bet : short name that comes from Hebrew and means house .
- Elia : short girl’s name, of Greek origin, meaning the one who shines like the sun .
- Estel : short feminine name in Catalan that means star .
- Gal·la : short name in Catalan that means native of Gaul .
- Ivet : name that comes from the Greek and means that which is glorious .
- Jana : Catalan name that derives from Juana and means God has had mercy .
- Laia : short girl’s name in Catalan that means well-spoken , comes from Eulalia.
- Mercè : Catalan and shorter version of the name Mercedes, meaning the one who liberates .
- Neus : it is the Catalan version of Nieves, it is a short girl’s name that refers to snow.
- Ona : diminutive name of Mariona, meaning person who guides us .
- Rut : short girl’s name in Catalan that means beauty .
Basque short girl names
Basque names always conquer because they are different, unknown and because their pronunciation is interesting to us. In addition, their meanings are very original. In Basque there are many short girls’ names that stand out for starting with the vowel I and with the U. Discover here our selection of the best short Basque girl names:
- Aiuri : This short girl’s name in Basque means wolf’s howl .
- Alaia – This short girl’s name means joy in Basque.
- Amaia – This short Basque name means end .
- Ane : three-letter girl’s name, Basque equivalent of Ana, meaning full of grace .
- Aroa : short girl’s name in Basque meaningseason of the year.
- Egia : short Basque girl’s name meaning truth .
- Elaia : is a Basque short feminine name that means swallow .
- Gure – is a short Basque girl’s name meaningdesire.
- Idoia : feminine name of Basque origin that is a Marian invocation of the Basque Country.
- Iera : short girl’s name that means virgin in Basque .
- Iradi – This short Basque girl’s name means Joy .
- Irati : short name meaning field of ferns in Basque.
- Izar : is a short Basque girl’s name that means star .
- June : is a Basque short name that refers to the name Juncal.
- Leire : Basque name that comes from Latin and means legionnaire .
- Naia : is a short Basque girl’s name that means desire .
- Nora : in Basque this short girl’s name means noble .
- Sua : Basque girl’s name meaning fire and present in Basque mythology.
- Uda : This short Basque name means summer .
- Usoa – is a short girl’s name that is the Basque version of Paloma.
- Uxue : short name that comes from a Basque legend related to a virgin.
- Zuri : short girl’s name of Basque origin, its meaning is white .
Short girl names in English
Most of the short girl names that we know have Anglo-Saxon origin. If you think of some, Amy, Lily, Kim… Then you can choose yours in the list of short girl names in English that we recommend:
- Abby : it is the diminutive name of Abigail whose meaning is joy of my father .
- Amy – This English short girl’s name is the English variant of the name beloved .
- April : English version of the name April, referring to the fourth month of the year.
- Ava – This name is an anglicized version of the name Eva, meaning she who gives life .
- Bear is a short Anglo-Saxon girl’s name meaning bear .
- Drew – short English female name that comes from Andrew and means virile .
- Eda : short girl’s name of origin is English and means rich and happy .
- She : is a short female name of English origin meaning bright light .
- Esme – English short girl’s name meaning kind defender .
- Fern – Old English short name, comes from a moss-like plant.
- Ivy : is a short English girl’s name and its meaning is ivy .
- Jane – is the female English version of John.
- Kate – This short English girl’s name comes from Katherine.
- Kim – This girl’s name is of Anglo-Saxon origin and means forest .
- Lexi – This female name is short because it is a diminutive of Alexandra.
- Lily : English short name very popular for its lily meaning .
- Liz : Short English female given name that is diminutive of Elizabeth.
- Lora : Anglo-Saxon short girl’s name meaning little wise man .
- Lucy : short English female name that comes from Lucia and means light .
- Macy : short girl’s name that comes from an English surname, means armed .
- Mae : short female name diminutive of Mabel, which in English means beloved .
- Mary : is the English name of Mary, which as we know, means love or beloved .
- Nora : Abbreviation of the English name Eleonora meaning to grow up .
- Prue – Short English girl’s name meaning prudence .
- Queen – This short English girl’s name means queen .
- Ruby : English short name for ruby -red gemstone .
- Sam – Diminutive of Samantha, very popular in English, meaning listened to .
- Sky : short name of woman in English whose meaning is sky .
- Sue : Short English name of American origin meaning lily .
- Tori – English variant of Victoria, meaning victorious woman .
- Viv – Short English girl’s name that comes from Vivian, meaning alive .
Short and simple girl names
Simplicity is the key. Short and simple girl names are a highly recommended option for those who do not want a fancy name. The good thing about simple names is that they are easy for everyone to remember and pronounce. Some of the short and simple girl names that we propose:
- Aria : short girl’s name that comes from Latin and means music .
- Amal : name of Arabic origin meaning hope .
- Asia : name that comes from Greek mythology and refers to the continent.
- Chloe : short girl’s name, of Greek origin and its meaning is green grass .
- Dara : name of Hebrew origin meaning pearl of wisdom .
- Dora : is a short girl’s name of French origin and means gift from God .
- Edna : female given name from Hebrew meaning heavenly garden .
- Erin : short girl’s name of Gaelic origin and comes from the word Ireland.
- Gia – This short name is popular in the US and short for Giovanna.
- Ida : short name of Germanic origin, its meaning is working woman .
- Isa : short girl’s name, which means will and comes from Germanic.
- Jena : This name is of Arabic origin and means small bird .
- Kira : short girl’s name of Persian origin meaning sun .
- Lara : comes from Greek mythology and means protector of the home .
- Lea : is a girl’s name of Latin origin that means lioness.
- Lía : short and simple girl’s name of Hebrew origin meaning melancholy .
- Lida : feminine name of Slavic origin that means the one who loves her people .
- Maya : name of Greek origin meaning caretaker .
- Nana : short female name of Scandinavian origin meaning young .
- Noa : of Hebrew origin and means the one that gives comfort .
- Sol : short girl’s name of Latin origin, whose meaning is obvious.
- Tea – One of the short and simple girl’s names of Germanic origin, brilliant .
- Vera : short girl’s name of Russian origin meaning faith .
- Zía : short female name, of Arabic origin, meaning light.
- Zoe : short girl’s name of Greek origin meaning woman full of life .
short cute girl names
What makes a girl’s name pretty? Beauty is subjective but many factors can influence when defining a beautiful name: it can be due to its meaning, its harmonious pronunciation or its interesting history of origin. Be that as it may, if a girl’s name has a beautiful meaning and is also short, it makes it twice as beautiful. We present the best short and pretty girl names:
- Ada : This short girl’s name is of Hebrew origin and means beauty .
- Aíne : female name meaning glory and is of Irish origin.
- Aya : short feminine name that comes from the Arabic that is a derivative of aleya .
- Bora : short female name of Albanian origin meaning snow .
- Cira : short girl’s name, with Persian origin and means sun .
- Clea : short female name that comes from the Greek and means fame .
- Daira : short feminine name that means wisdom and is of Greek origin.
- Danae : short name that comes from Greek mythology and means to burn .
- Eir – female given name of Norwegian origin that translates as peace .
- Emma : girl’s name of Germanic origin meaning universal woman .
- Enya – Irish name meaning little fire .
- Ikia : is the feminine variant of the name Isaías and is of Latin origin.
- Irma : Germanic name meaning strength .
- Kora : short female name that means young and is of Greek origin.
- Lais : It is one of the short girl names in Greek that means happy .
- Liv – This short female given name is of Norwegian origin, it means protection .
- Neda – This name of Slavic origin means woman born on Sunday .
- Reka – This short and pretty girl’s name is of Maori origin and means sweet .
- Rue : short girl’s name that comes from French and means street .
- Wila : short girl’s name of Hawaiian origin meaning faithful .
Short and sweet girl names
As if that were not enough, these short girl names that we present below stand out for their sweetness. They are short and soft names, which makes them sweet to hear and pronounce. What is your favorite?
- Aba : comes from the African and means born on Thursday .
- Anya – is the Russian version of the name Ana.
- Aura : comes from Latin and means breeze .
- Blair – This is a short name of Scottish origin meaning field .
- Dacia : short female given name of Greek origin meaning white .
- Eglé : female name from Greek mythology meaning brightness of the sun .
- Elda : Short name from Germanic meaning fighter .
- Elma : short girl’s name meaning sweet fruit and comes from Germanic.
- Gaia : name of Greek origin and means earth , since it comes from mythology.
- Hasna : girl’s name of Greek origin meaning strong .
- Ilse : is a short girl’s name of Germanic origin that means God is my oath .
- Jara – This short girl’s name means sweet and comes from Arabic.
- Mila : short name of Slavic origin, diminutive of Ludmila, meaning beloved of her people .
- Nara : Japanese female given name meaning oak .
- Nuru : short girl’s name of Egyptian origin meaning born by day .
- Oba : comes from Nigerian, this short girl’s name refers to the Goddess of rivers .
- Rima : short female given name of Arabic origin meaning white antelope .
- Roma : short girl’s name that comes from Latin and refers to the city of Italy.
- Saba : It is one of the short and sweet girl names that means morning in Arabic.
- Uxía : Short female name meaning well-born in Greek.
- Vega : has its origin in the Virgin of Vega, it means flat and fertile land .
If you are here to find baby names for your new born, then you are at the right place, keep check article there are thousand of article regarding name of baby.